9.08.2005

Op-Ed With Some Analysis

The people who regularly read this site probably already know that I don’t watch a lot of television. Included in that are the political pundits and talking heads of our time. At least I think they are called pundits, heck I’m not even sure of the lingo at this point.

I don’t get a lot out of Crossfire, the Situation Room, O’Reilly Factor, Hannity or Savage (I think that’s his name). If I want to see people scream and yell at each other I’ll turn on Springer. I’m really not all that into people telling me how to think and what to say.

But, lately I have become rather fond of one talking head in particular (I’ve watched him twice now). Maybe it’s because he used to work for ESPN (which I’m boycotting at the moment, but that’s another story). I watched Keith Olbermann give one heck of an op-ed the other day and since then I can’t forget about it. If anything his quote of Churchill at the end is enough to garner some attention:

"The responsibility," of government, Churchill told the British Parliament "for the public safety is absolute and requires no mandate. It is in fact, the prime object for which governments come into existence."

His written op-ed can be found here. Or you can watch it here. I recommend both, with no qualifications whatsoever.

Also, I want to point out another op-ed from the Boston Globe that I think does a fair job of summarizing the Crisis in the Creole (politically that is). Not everyone may agree with it, I don’t in some parts, but I think it is a fair assessment. Both liberal and conservative persuasions would be wise to read it.

3 comments:

circlejerker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David Schantz said...

I'm happy to see someone else has given up on whats on TV. I think it is starting to show that Bush is no longer worried about poll ratings since he can't run again. If the people don't learn anything else from Katrina I hope they will learn to be more self reliant.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Cooper said...

I watch CNN news and periodically flick through some of the pundit type shows. I find most of them to be just a little too self serving and FOX is just plain disgusting. They love to hear themselves talk. Sometimes there is dialogue of opposing viewpoints but not enough as the pundit always gets the final word and can interrupt and manipulate the questions and therefore the answers at will.

Interesting read though I had not seen that op ed.

Be careful down there if you do go.