9.08.2005

Cap Vacations

I’m in a capping mood lately.  Caps on gasoline, caps on vacations, let’s cap it all.

There is more than enough evidence to suggest that part of the reason the federal government was sluggish in responding to Katrina was because most of those in charge were on vacation at the time of the storm.  Some, namely the president, had been on vacation for weeks leading up to the day the storm made landfall.

“…Republicans said that the normally nimble White House political operation had fallen short in part because the president and his aides were scattered outside Washington on vacation, leaving no one obviously in charge at a time of great disruption,” reports the NY Times, the Washington Post and many other sources.

I don’t think it’s any secret given Cindy Sheehan let the whole world know Bush decided to take 1/3 of the summer off and relax at his ranch in Crawford, Texas.  Despite an ongoing war in Iraq with no end in sight and that the deadline for the Iraqi constitution fell right in the middle of Bush’s retreat, Bush still thought it was a good time for a bicycle ride.

Now I know that it’s entirely impossible to plan one’s vacation time around a hurricane.  I understand Bush had no clue that Katrina was coming or the devastation that would follow.  I’m not even hinting at that.  The situation in Iraq, however, Bush was well aware of-- okay maybe not, maybe that’s a stretch.  But it’s obvious his vacations are taking a toll on this country.

Because of the apparent complexity and the consequences that a vacationing president can levy on the nation, I think it is fair that Congress mandate some sort of limit on presidential vacations.

Think about it.  If my numbers are correct, Bush has spent somewhere around 340 days on vacation in the last 5 years.  That’s almost an entire year of his 5 spent on vacation.  How is that even possible?  Reagan who was ancient during his tenure can’t even match that.  

So here it is, a bill in Congress that limits a president’s vacation time to 21 days for one work year, which is still more than most jobs.  That equals out to 84 vacation days for one four year term.  I’d apply for that job any day.

If it is acceptable for a president to spend almost a quarter of his entire presidency on vacation then I’m wrong here.  It’s all about accountability, and despite what those in Washington want us to believe, we are the ones that do the finger pointing.  My employer has a limit on how many vacation days I can take, and after all, we are Bush’s employer.  I think it’s a start.

9 comments:

Household6 said...

The only problem with this thought MJ is that my father would get more vacation time than the president. His length of service with his company allows for 4 weeks of paid vacaction a year.

Even the German blue collar workers would get more vacation than that since they have 30 days a year.

You do pose a question though for folks to think about - what is he doing and why isn't he at work?

HH6

Chris said...

HH6, good point. I did think about service peope getting 30 days and then I thought, well, the president makes $400,000/year, service people make no where near that. And considering all the perks the president has as well, he could easily add a few more weeks of a "working vacation," which Bush is so famous for anyways. So if Bush worked it right he could easily stretch it to about 6 weeks of vacation time per year. And that would still be less than what he's doing now.

But I'm negotiable on this :)

I know my caps would never happen, but like you said, it does pose a good discussion about how in the world someone can take 340 vacation days in 5 years and still be serious about his job.

Thanks for reading.

Jacob said...

Anyway you look at this is it a lot of vacation time and when you consider that he did not end it abruptly for certain crisis it makes it look even worse. I too have about three weeks a year at my current job. I have held this job for two years. I don't have the option of taking them all at once until I have been here over five years and then I have to apply months in advance for that privilege. I don't think the president of a country should be off for such a length of time. Especially a country with so much going on, A war in Iraq, a war on terror, and a pending natural disaster at the very least should have gotten him back to the white house prior to Katrina hitting.

Jacob said...

Anyway you look at this is it a lot of vacation time and when you consider that he did not end it abruptly for certain crisis it makes it look even worse. I too have about three weeks a year at my current job. I have held this job for two years. I don't have the option of taking them all at once until I have been here over five years and then I have to apply months in advance for that privilege. I don't think the president of a country should be off for such a length of time. Especially a country with so much going on, A war in Iraq, a war on terror, and a pending natural disaster at the very least should have gotten him back to the white house prior to Katrina hitting.

Anonymous said...

I could go for a vacation cap for him, or mandatory extra vacation time for us to make up for it.

Craig said...

Beleive it or not, I am with you on this. You take a job to work, not to slack off. Bush is still president while on vacation, but it is obvious he is not as ascesible.

I actually hate vacations because you spend two weeks preparing at work, then two weeks catching up.

I have to admit, your the one Democrat with ideas, not just talk.

Cooper said...

I think Washington in general needs not to shut down for the whole damn month of August especially during war time. The Bush family is rather fond of their vacations though.
I'm all for a cap for this office.

The GTL™ said...

Cap it HELL! I'd LOVE a job where I work 4 years in a row with no vacations, then get an entire 5th year off with full pay. Let the place go to hell... I'll be back soon enough, but don't blame me if I go on vacation again shortly after I return. ;-)

Jack Davis said...

I personally don't see the problem with Bush taking a long vacation. It's not like he's accomplishing much during his "work" schedule. Cheney probably runs the government anyway.