9.11.2005

When the World Stop Turning...

...I was driving to work admiring the day. I didn’t have class that day, I was so relieved that all I had to do was work and do some research that night. It was my first semester of grad school and I was totally in over my head. I had a graduate assistantship at a policy think tank on campus and it seemed all I ever did was read and do research. I still hadn’t settled into the new routine. At 23 I had a lot of other things I would have rather been doing.

As I pulled into the parking lot I heard the DJ on the radio announce that a plane had flown into one of the World Trade Centers. I remember thinking to myself that someone was way off course. I looked down at the clock and it was 7:55 AM (CST). I had five minutes to get to my office.

The office was already hectic because most who worked there were retired senators or congressmen and a French guy who really wasn’t making much sense met me at the door with more of the news. I noticed that the Internet wasn’t working so I turned on the radio for some updates. By that time the senator had requested that a TV be placed in the lobby so we could watch it live. Since it took forever for the maintenance people to get the cable hooked up the first thing we learned was that a second plane had already crashed into the second tower.

We all knew then nothing would ever be the same.

The first 11 days of September will forever be a grieving period for America. From New York to New Orleans this country again will mourn for September. I’m not sure there’s anything left to say today.

4 comments:

David Schantz said...

9/11/01 is a date that none of us will ever be able to forget. This morning I was reminded that we have some friends whose son was born on that day. I'm sure that is something he will think about on his birthday for the rest of his life.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic

Cooper said...

Being that I was little younger than you all I don't rememeber it quite the same.
But yeah I guess there is nothing left to say today.

The GTL™ said...

No, friend; there is NOTHING more to be said, except for the fact that I'm STILL PISSED OFF about the whole thing. They_had_no_RIGHT, damn it. They'll get theirs; rest ASSURED.

The BASTARDS.

Va. Carper said...

I am late, I know since this is now Sept. 20. I was evacuated out of Wash. D.C. when the plane hit the Pentagon. It was sheer chaos. I found out later that several people in my neighborhood either were injured or had died in the attack. It is still a wound that hasn't healed.

How invading Iraq makes the hurt goes away doesnot make sense to me.