6.02.2008

When It's Over It's Over

Before I go to bed tonight I just wanted to make a mention about the Democratic Primary. For all intents and purposes this thing is over tomorrow. After March, there was no way Hillary was going to catch Obama, so in a very real sense this thing has been over for a while now. But tomorrow Obama will clinch the magic number needed to claim the nomination and with Florida and Michigan settled, there is nothing left in this primary race. I'm not sure if Hillary will suspend her campaign tomorrow night or sometime next week but really it doesn't matter. The Clinton's, if nothing else, are not dumb people and they know when the end of the road has come. She will bow out on her own and by her own initiative.

As I've mentioned on this site before, I'm all for this going to the convention. That's how nominees have been selected for a majority of this country's history. Having another go to the convention does not signal the end of a political party despite what Fox News may say. What I've never been in favor of is the dream ticket. I'm certainly in no position to know what is going on behind the scenes tonight and maybe into the long night tomorrow but if it does happen to be an Obama-Hillary dream ticket I will support it. Grudgingly so, but I will support my Party.

Whatever Hillary's capacity will be for Barack Obama after tomorrow, her first job will be as uniter. She's created history with her campaign. No she's defied history with her campaign and in some instances slapped history right in the face. There isn't enough that can be said about what she's accomplished. If it is history that she has intricated then only very few humans have ever complexed it as much, or even had the ability to write such a narrative. We all should strive to matter just a tenth of what she has in her life.

0 comments: