2.19.2008

Clinton Statue

Since Kosovo is back in the news this week, it jarred my memory of hearing about a statue to honor American President Bill Clinton in the capital city of Pristina. The article is from May 2007 so I wonder if the statue is completed and in place yet.

From the article:

The three-meter (10-foot) tall monument is still under construction in a studio in Podujevo north of Pristina.

"He is our savior. He saved us from extermination," sculptor Izeir Mustafa told Reuters. "I was thrilled by the work because I know what he did for us."...

...Pristina already has a road named after him, graced by a 12-metre (25 foot) tall mural of the former president. Pristina municipal authorities say they expect to erect the statue somewhere along Clinton Boulevard later this summer.

Mustafa has several more days to work before he bronzes the sculpture of Clinton, after which he will turn his attention to another soon-to-be former Western leader. . "I definitely will do a statue of (British Prime Minister) Tony Blair," he said. "He saved us as well".

I wonder if Iraq will do something like this for Bush? I could see the state department actually paying the bill to have a statue of Bush in the Baghdad square, after all he is their liberator. It could be included in the plans for the new American embassy. It wouldn't be fair for Clinton to have one and Bush not. Clinton accomplished his goal after 78 days. After 5 years and counting, Bush damn better have one too.

Then I realized that in April I'm going to Ireland and I remembered hearing something about a Bill Clinton statue in Ireland also. So after some searching I found the Clinton statue at Ballybunion in Co. Kerry. I will definitely have to get my picture made standing next to that statue when I'm there. This is really making my whole trip much more exciting, though I was already pretty pumped up about it. My next overseas trip will have to be to Pristina so I can have a complete set of Clinton statue photos.

*Update:

That's a golf club he's holding in case you're wondering. I figured people would have a comment or two about that one.

**Update II:

Just as soon as I published this post I found where the Clinton statue in Kosovo has been completed and ready to be installed. Here's another article about it being installed on the eponymous named street.

Tags: , ,

0 comments: