1.27.2006

Time For Dean To Go

One thing that sets me apart from a person who walks a party line is the fact that I hammer my party as much as I do the opposition party. It might not be as evident from the writings on this site, though I do have plenty of posts disagreeing with the Dems, but in person I’ll disagree just as much with the current direction of the Democratic Party as I do with the current direction of the Republican Party.

One of the items that I do completely disagree with in the Democratic organization is Howard Dean. I have no problems with Dean if he wants to run for office on the Democratic ticket, mainly because I don’t think he’s electable anymore. I do have great concerns with Dean as the leader of the Democratic Party. And here’s one reason why:

On this morning’s Today Show, Katie Couric falsely claimed that Democrats took money from Jack Abramoff. Howard Dean tried to set her straight, but she stuck to the right-wing talking points..

COURIC: Hey, wait a second. Democrats took — Democrats took money from Abramoff too, Mr. Dean.

DEAN: That is absolutely false. That did not happen. Not one dime of money from Jack Abramoff went to any Democrat at any time.”

You know what, Dean is absolutely right. Not one Democrat took money from Jack Abramoff. Never! Abramoff is squarely a Republican lobbyist who traded favors with Republicans for cash. The sad part is that Dean has no credibility. When he goes on national television and actually makes true statements trying to discredit false loudmouth conservative talking points from makeshift journalists, nobody pays attention to him and Dean convinces no one of anything different. He speaks hot air that mainstream America doesn’t want to hear.

It’s time for Dean to go. The Democratic Party cannot lead effectively with Dean at the helm. He might be a smart guy and a good person only wanting to do good and do what he thinks is best, but he’s not a politician and he’s not convincing and lacking credibility completely silences the entire Democratic caucus. Mr. Dean, this isn’t personal, it’s political and you need to step aside and allow the party new leadership that can provide credibility and political wit. Put him in charge of fundraising, which he is good at, but he cannot be the spokesperson for the entire party. Credibility goes a long way, and he lost it a long time ago.

Something else that I’m disappointed about in the Democratic Party, and it goes along well for why Dean’s in charge, is the party’s total lack of political understanding. Politics is an art. Moving and shaking takes a lot of double talk and witty conversations. It takes creativity and difficult decision-making capabilities. It takes the ability to delicately define issues effectively. Or also known as spin.

And the Democrats never did understand that the only way to stop Alito and put a damper on another Bush appointment was to keep talking about Miers. I said from the very beginning that Bush’s words and actions should be used against him. Make Bush answer to why and how Alito could be so great if he was second to Miers. It’s not rocket science. Miers was a horrible pick and anyone second to Miers can’t be good for the country. Finally the other day I found the first instance where people were beginning to understand that Miers was the key to stopping Alito, but even then it was not the Dems doing the talking:

“Earlier today, President Bush stood with former law clerks of Judge Samuel Alito to demand that the Senate give his Supreme Court nominee an up-or-down vote. Bush said of his current nominee:

There’s no doubt about Judge Alito’s qualifications, his intellect, or his complete dedication to our Constitution and laws. He is exactly the kind of person Americans want on the Supreme Court. … And I call on the United States Senate to put partisanship aside and give Judge Alito the up or down vote he deserves and to confirm him as the next associate justice of the Supreme Court.
Oh, but how quickly he forgets. Wasn’t there another Supreme Court nominee who met these same qualifications but was refused an up-or-down vote? On October 3, 2005, here’s what Bush said about then-nominee Harriet Miers:
I believe that senators of both parties will find that Harriet Miers’ talent, experience and judicial philosophy make her a superb choice to safeguard the constitutional liberties and equality of all Americans. … I’ve sought to find an American of grace, judgment and unwavering devotion to the Constitution and laws of our country. Harriet Miers is just such a person.
Both Miers and Alito have been billed by the President as having the necessary qualifications, intellect, and judicial philosophy for the job. But Harriet Miers never got an up-or-down vote because the right-wing stopped her. The Miers example makes at least two things clear: 1) there’s nothing wrong with opposing a nominee with whom you fundamentally disagree, and 2) Bush does not have the record to be making demands of the Senate.”

I couldn’t have said it better myself. We can do better.

Tags:
, ,

15 comments:

Jacob said...

I was doing an evening round and clicked don here not thinking you were going to be posting. Glad to see it.

I have always felt that Dean has his heart in the right place and maybe he is saying what the democrats need to hear. I think they missed the boat last time and he was right. He is not going to win them any votes and he does need to go.
The spin that you talk of is necessary and I am not close enough to any of the political goings on to even understand it except it happens and the democrats did it wrong, if at all, last time around. I can’t believe they haven’t made more of this Alito thing and I think that it is showing lack of understanding as well as lack of balls.
The democrat’s should be going full steam ahead with all the things happening with this White House. I don’t see it. They are not getting a leg up on anything. Where is the leadership?

Craig said...

I do just happen to check out the links and see you snuck back in, I knew you couldn't stay away.

I respect Dean, because he never lets down on what he believes. Even during the elcetion process, he simply told everyone where he stood. The problem is that he is so left-wing, America just can't agree with him. But the Democrats could certainly learn something from him, pick a position and put your weight behind.

As for Meirs, I really wish I could know what Bush was thinking. In your quote above, he never called her intelligent, just "talent[ed], experience[d], and having judicial philosophy". To be honest, she probably had all those qualities, but that doesn't back you a good judge.

He nominated the wrong person, I beleive he caved to the voices that wanted a woman or minority. Alito should have been first, and it is a shame that Republicans so-called tainted his nomination. But to hold Miers directly responsible for not nominating Alito would be politically irresponsible.

Great to have you back, in whatever capacity you bring it.

Cooper said...

Dean doesn't bother me because I too believe he says what he means and is not afraid. Unfortunately someone should have known how that was going to go over last time...don't they do studied prior to sending these people out there. That has, in fact, made him completely unelectable and he should go take a back seat somewhere. No one is going to forget.

That having been said the dems are surely quite without balls these days. I thought they would be doing better and I can't for the life of me understand why they couldn't filibuster Alito. I would have felt better about them had they done so.

I would have thought by this far into the game the dems would have cleaned house, have a plan and a plan b as well as a plan c and have it all in motion.

Day by Day said...

I can't agree with you more. Dean is like the annoying "dad" that every girl or boy cringes when he "tries to be cool" around their friends. I do believe he is pure blood Democrat and BELIEVES in the Democratic Party... but I toooo think his creditability has been shot to hell and back.

I watched the interview with Dean and Katie... I also watched the interview that Matt did with Senator McCain. (Did you see that interview?) Matt stated to McCain that they didn't believe Dean about "Democrats DID NOT take money from Jack Abramoff" so they did their own investigation and Dean was telling the truth... I guess they thought they were going to stick it to Dean... BUT... they did say that even though the Dems didn't take the money from Abramoff hand... they did receive money from organizations Abramoff was a part of.

I believe that Dean is a true believer in the Democrats and is proud of the USA and wants to make it SO MUCH better than what this administration has been making it. He is very passionate... and after many a thought... maybe that's not so bad.

As for the way the Dems opposed Alito... You are right... they should have talked about Miers more.

I work in a company that is mainly Republicans. I get hassled all the time about my Democratic views. Keeps me on my toes. :)

Lisa said...

Well...I don't think I could add anything to what has already been said here. Dean is not a good strategist for the Democrats, and that is what they need in addition to someone who provides credible leadership. Someone to give the party a message that is unified and makes sense. That's obviously not what the Democrats have now.

Dean may very well be correct about some of the things he says, but as the chairman of the Democratic party it's irresponsible to say some of those things.

Chris said...

My point exactly businessman. I agree that Dean's heart is in the right place. And he does one hell of a job with the grassroots. But he has no credibility with the average voter. Even though Dean is correct when he says that the Dems never took Abramoff money, it coming from him makes people doubt it. Spin is the name of the game, and the Dems are very poor at it. Bush is spying on American citizens without warrants, and he paints the picture that he's keeping us safe and that his power is protected by the constitution that he's trampling on. And the Dems can't even spin against that one. Thanks for reading.

Craig, thanks for checking back. Dean is not left-wing, he's actually a centrist. He opposes the Iraq war so everyone assumes and paints him as a left-winger. But I do agree that the Dems do need to put their weight behind something and stay with it. As for Miers I believe that Bush caved to cronyism. Miers was in no way qualified to take the trash out at the White House. By selecting Miers Bush lost total credibility of upholding the Constitution. Though I am not holding Miers responsible like you suggest, I'm holding Bush responsible for his own actions. It would be politically irresponsible to not hold Bush to his words and actions. Thanks for reading.

Alice, lacking balls indeed. I think a filibuster of Alito would have been a gimme had the debate been kept about Miers. But it's too late for that now. He probably will be confirmed and America will take one step closer to the stone age. Thanks for reading.

Day by day, love your Dean analogy. He gets on my nerves too. He is a work-horse, but the average voter does not trust him, and trust is 90% of it, spin is other 10%. Yeah I saw the interview with McCain as well. I think everyone was shocked that Dean was right, which I think proves my point that he has very low credibility. But hey maybe with this turn of events, Dean will be gaining some trust with the American public. Stay on them toes girl, cause we need ya!

Lisa, you are exactly right: Dean has no strategic thought whatsoever. Anyone that can lose a caucus in Iowa after campaigning for two years must have something wrong with them. In two years in Iowa a candidate could meet every person in that state :)

And I agree that he does spout off at the mouth while on TV too. Now Rush Limbaugh and O'Reilly and Hannity all do that too, but they are not Republican Party leaders, though they do play an important role in the Republican ranks. Dean, however, would do better with a talk show than a chairmanship. Thanks for reading. Good seeing you around.

Lisa said...

MJ,

If Dean had a talk show, I might actually pay some attention to him. LOL. I could see that happening, except that I see him as rather thin-skinned, and I don't know if he could handle talk radio callers very well. They are a rough bunch, whether they know what they are talking about or not.

Know what I would love to see (as a partisan Republican)?

DEAN blogging on KOS.

After all, it's working so well for Kerry and Kennedy...)

Good post though. :)

Chris said...

Lisa, well Dean does have his moveon.org site. Might not be a total blog, but I think he does post press releases there. I need to checkout this Kos site. I'm not sure I have ever been there. If I have I can't recall.

I think Dean would handle a talk show just fine. Or at least as well as fatman Limbaugh does. All Dean would have to do to the callers is just yell and call them names and then hang up on them; just like O'Reilly and drug boy. Dean would be good at that.

TO ALL: I posted this on tpmcafe.com and the response there from the readers isn't so enouraging. It appears they want to keep Dean despite his lack of credibility. I don't think Dean could strategize his way out of a paper sack, but apparently strategy isn't part of the Democratic agenda anymore.

Lisa said...

I don't like O'Reilly's show. On the other hand, he is quite popular, in spite of the way he handles people that disagree with him. Is it really necessary to take cheap shots at Limbaugh? It's a night/day difference between how he handles calls and how O'Reilly does it. I don't think the comparison is accurate. But you are certainly allowed to think that it is. :) For the record, I don't listen to either show that often.

LOL at the paper sack comment. If the Republicans keep the majority, they probably should thank Dean and those who are willing to let him pretend to be in charge of the Democratic party. '06 is not a sure thing for either party, and the Republicans shouldn't sit back and relax. They need to come up with a strategy to win as well.

Chris said...

I think it's completely necessary to take shots at fatboy Limbaugh. The way you feel about Kos is the way I feel about drug boy. I think he's a parasite, and serves no good for politics or America in general. I live in a town 40 minutes away from Limbaugh's hometown. He's talked about in these parts all the time. Did I mention that he's addicted to drugs?? :)

I hope and pray the Dems will come up with something. Every day I submit memos at work, but so far I'm not making much of a difference. Probably why I'm looking for a new career. Besides politics takes a toll on a person.

Thanks for reading!

Lisa said...

Fair enough...although I've never said anything bad about Kos except that he's a moonbat. And he is. I don't care whether you attack Rush or not. I have no dog in this fight. :) But if you're comparing O'Reilly's show to Rush's show as far as treatment of callers, I would have to disagree with the idea that it is similar at all.

MJ...don't give up on the Democrats. I like to rip them on occasion, but I'm partisan like that. :) If reasonable, rational people like yourself desert the party, then you're going to see more Republicans in power for years to come, and you don't want that to happen, do you? Think about it this way. It couldn't possibly get any worse, especially when they have your excellent advice.

Lisa said...

I have to amend my last remark there...because it didn't sound quite right. What I meant to say was that I think your effort isn't wasted and that you should keep trying to move the party to center. Hopefully (for you) they will "get it" eventually. :)

Chris said...

Thanks for the kind words Lisa. I don't think I will abandon the party, but I have been trying to make a career move. I will always be a Democrat, however :)

Up until about a week ago I would have argued against anyone that said the Dems were controlled by their left-wing, but today I think I agree with that. Of course any party that is out of power must do some soul searching. And if it means losing the extreme left, then oh well.

But I do put fatboy and O'Reilly and all the other loudmouths all in the same category...useless :)

Lisa said...

I think it's harder to make the opposite argument -- that the left-wing doesn't control the Democratic party right now. There's quite a bit of evidence that says otherwise. What I fail to understand about the Democrats is why they think that they can get enough votes to win elections from that extreme left-wing. If you can figure that out, you're smarter than I am. (although that may be true anyway)

I would love to read your take on the SOTU and Tim Kaine's eyebrow. That sure sounded like a lot of new spending in all those proposals. When will Bush even learn? :( Then again, you can't be a neo-con without liking big ambitious government programs.

There's no point debating fatboy and O'Reilly any more. This horse is officially beaten to death. :P

Kent said...

Wrong. Harry Reid pocketed $60K from Indian tribes that were Abramoff clients. This claim that Democrats 'received nothing from Abramoff' doesn't fly.

Dean. Ensure PERMANENT Republican dominance and please keep him. He's great. I must say that I have grown into admiring this ego-maniacal, bumptious, bastard. He's the perfect poster boy for a collection of anti-American, bi-polar, miscreants.

Welcome back, MJ.