1.18.2006

My Opinions, per requests

Since leaving this site over two months ago, I have been routinely emailed by people merely asking for my thoughts about current events, history and politics in general. I apologize to those who I did not always get back to, but the reason why I had to take a break from blogging was because I was too busy with work; hence also too busy to answer my emails. A lot of my emails were from people who rarely left comments on the site and people that I didn’t even know read, but people who wanted some insight on some issues facing the day.

Rather than writing out emails, I thought I would use some space here and try to answer (with my own opinion) some of the questions presented in the emails. I probably won’t hit every question because I’m not going to answer personal questions- at least not on the site. But I will try the best I can.

Samuel Alito

He will be confirmed. He doesn’t need to be, but unless something unusual happens he will be confirmed. I oppose Alito for two reasons. One is because George Bush picked Harriet Miers to be the next Justice and said that Miers was the best and number one choice for the job. If Alito is second to Miers, I don’t want him. I believe by selecting Miers, George Bush “forfeited his right to be trusted as a custodian of the Constitution.”

If Miers is the best person for the job, then I don’t want to see who comes after her, and in this case it’s Alito and by Bush’s own incompetence I oppose Alito. I’m also amazed that the Dems never did realize that the only way to stop the Alito nomination was to keep the debate about Miers. Simple things confuse me sometimes.

My second reason for opposing Alito is because of Roe v. Wade. I think it should be left alone. I am personally opposed to abortion, mind you; but I think Roe should be left alone because I know not everyone believes the way that I do and often times circumstances dictate more than someone else's opinion who has never walked a step in your shoes.

Iraq

It’s time to come home. It appears that a Shia Muslim faction is the majority of government and that a semi-strict Islamic state is on its way. The much-touted December elections are over and January ’06 has been one of the deadliest months for American troops since the war began. The first Gulf War lasted 100 days. It proves what American long-term planning, military strategy with an exit plan and competent government can do. How erroneous it is to forget history, recent history at that. Our men and women deserve better. It’s time to come home.

Bush and Domestic Spying

I always love the neocon argument that Bush spying on Americans is okay and routine for presidents. That what Bush is doing is protected by past precedents set by other great wartime presidents such as Lincoln, Wilson and FDR. There is one major flaw with that argument: we are not at war, not according to the Constitution at least. And with Lincoln, oh wait I’m not even going to try and argue against comparisons between Bush and Lincoln. Trust me, Bush is no Lincoln.

I will say this: right after 9/11 President Bush had to do whatever necessary to keep the country safe. After his stint of reading children’s books while the country was under attack, Bush had to man-up and protect us. People flying airplanes into our buildings was enough reasonable cause for Bush to do what he did. I think there was a window there where Bush had to do some major maneuvering in order to protect the Constitution even if that meant sometimes ignoring it. Depending on the circumstances that window may be brief or long and with Bush’s circumstances it probably ended when he decided to invade a country that had absolutely nothing to do with the attacks on 9/11. And if not then, then the window closed for good when he nominated Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court. It’s all over but the crying.

The Republican Scandals

Abramoff is a Republican scandal plain and simple. Not one single Democrat took money from Jack Abramoff. This is only the beginning of this one. Abramoff is a registered Republican and a registered Republican lobbyist. With the indictments of Congressman Tom DeLay, Scooter Libby and Congressman Duke Cunningham (all Republican) and the federal investigations of Senator Ney, Speaker Hastert and Senator Conrad Burns (all Republican) for accepting bribes from Abramoff, and Senator Frist (Republican) for insider trading, and many others that I’m forgetting, I don’t see how this is anything but a culture of corruption. It’s time for all of them to go home too.

With that said, I must also say that I hate politics like this. I hate that people think the only way to gain power is by the indictment of someone from the opposition party. Whatever happened to voting people out of office? Why does it take huge scandals to remove someone from an office that was never meant to be for full-time employment? People we can blame the politicians all day, but they will never change themselves, it’s the nature of the game. We are the government, they work for us. We are the people, and all the blame and shame is surely our own.

2008 Presidential Election

I always get a lot of people asking for my thoughts about who the next president will be. And of course they always want to know how I feel about Hillary. I’m going to make my predictions for ’08 and we’ll see how it all adds up later. I see a return of Al Gore. Call me crazy, but I see Gore as the Democratic nominee in ’08. Though if Hillary decides to run it will be tough. I think if Hillary wants to be the nominee she will be it. Party primaries are always about favors and the Clintons are owed more favors than anyone. If Hillary decides to run, I think her and Gore better do some talking. If it’s Hillary, the only way she will win the general is if the Republican nominee is Jeb Bush. She would mop the floor with that guy. Other than that, I’m sticking with Gore. And yes, if Hillary is the nominee I will vote for her. I’m a Democrat, what can I say. I’ll vote my Party.

Opening This Blog Back Up

Soon. Maybe.

Remember these are my opinions here. People asked and I tried to accommodate.

12 comments:

sevenpointman said...

Your comments clarify the need for a comprehensive exit strategy for iraq.

To see one go to the blog:sevenpointman

CaliValleyGirl said...

Yaaaaaay!!! On a whim of nostalgia I decided to come check you out...

Man, there is so much stuff there for me to comment on, I don't even know where to start. I love the Miers thing, though...it's a great argument. I would hold onto it like a rabid dog too.

The Roe v. Wade thing...do you really think that they will overturn that? I don't think so. I mean, in my opinion, and maybe I am wrong, a large percentage of Republicans, perhaps not the majority, but still a large percentage, while perhaps personally opposing abortion, are nevertheless pro-choice. Do you think this could happen, despite that majority of the US supporting the pro-choice mvt. I think that everyone would go ape-sh*t if they tried to make abortions illegal again. I certainly would, and I think most Dems would. So you have most Dems, and a large percentage of the Reps...or do you not think so?

I guess I don't understand your position on Iraq. Do you think we should leave, because this government isn't the one we would have liked? I think that we should definitely start winding down there, but we need to stay there until their security forces can take over from us. Which is what is happening. But it will take at least another 5-10 years of American involvment...not at these troop levels, but still, there will be Americans and other coalition forces there. But just because we screwed up in the beginning, doesn't mean it's okay to screw up on the end.

Bush=Lincoln...lol...just kidding. Man...that reminds me of the good old days, when you and I would have those long comment arguments...*sigh*...but, no...you had to go into blogging-retirment.

All, I can say is that Jeb better not run. Rudy all the way, baby!

Sminklemeyer said...

My day is now perfect. Go back to drinking your lattes MJ. :)

Cooper said...

I think the point is that simple things confuse the dems sometimes.

My thoughts over the last months mimic yours; it is time for the troops to come home.

Speaking of that I watched 9/11 gain and although the first time I was very aware of the potential propaganda machine that is Michael Moore and therefore looked at it with a rather cynical eye I totally wanted to kill this administration after viewing it again...even knowing what was left out it makes me ever angry.

Well as you are coming back we can discuss this nominee thing later. I have to say that I don't know. I can’t say one way or the other as to which one I'd vote for but Gore would get a look from me.

Glad you are back or half-back soon to be full-back…;)

Day by Day said...

Yay!!!! *Doing My Happy Dance* Glad you are back or almost back or whatever... at least you are here. I've been checking back ever so often just to see... This is a good day... :)

I believe it is time for the troops to come home... we do need some sort of exit strategy... AGAIN... I stress that I do not think we need to come home all at once... but we need to get the ball rolling!

I am SICK of this administration. The thoughts of Rice or Jeb Bush running in the next election TURNS MY STOMACH!!! Rice, WHATEVER! Jeb, would they be this crazy? I tooo am thinking it may be Gore... but if Hilary were to run... Hell, I'd vote for her! I believe in a lot she says!

Alito will be confirmed... but I don't like him. I don't like his looks (meaning he looks crooked)... he seems to be one sided on some very important issues, but refuses to admit to this. Proof is in his past!

Jacob said...

Excellent.

Eli Blake said...

First, you are absolutely right about Miers. I made that point too, that whatever her shortcomings, Democrats should have backed her and pushed for a quick hearing. Where we are today is a direct result of our waffling then and allowing the extreme right to take over the process.

On Iraq, I have been putting it to people this way: President Bush made his victory speech on May 1, 2003. At that time, the war had lasted six weeks, cost less than $25 million, and cost the lives of 139 American troops.

By that reckoning, we have won the war at least a dozen times since then, so I tell people I'm tired of winning, can't we go home now? :)

Chris said...

Wow, people do still check on this place. Sorry to everyone for the color scheme on this thing. I don't know what's going on. The page works better on Firefox than IE. Plus Firefox isn't evil like IE. And we all know that evilness is wrong.

sevenpointman, I will check on your site. Thanks for the visit.

CVG, aahhh fond memories indeed. I think the beginning of the end of Bush's presidency is Miers. Now I don't mean that Bush should be impeached or gunned down, I think the legitimacy of his presidency ended with Miers. Her nomination was the most incompetent policy move in over 100 years of American government. And I don't think it should be forgotten just because someone else has replaced her. I always talk about the short sightedness of Bush, but the Dems are worse if they can't figure out that Miers is the peice they need to stall Bush probably forever. I think the simplest way for me to express my opposition for Alito is to say that if he's second to Miers then I don't want him.

I don't think Roe v Wade will be overturned in full. I think with this next court, Alito aboard, parts of Roe will be overturned or very limited. I think the law of Rove, however bad it might be, will be left in place but limited so much that it will be useless. I agree that overturning Roe would cause an outrage, which is why the neocons will instead use new cases to limit Roes reach; smart idea if I do say so myself. Though opposed to abortion as I am, I still think Roe should be left alone.

I think if men gave birth abortions wouldn't even be a topic, or much less an issue limited to right and wrong.

On Iraq, I think it's time to come home. I see no reason why we should spend $200 million/day so that the Shia's can setup an Islamic state. If when we do pullout and Iraq is governed in the sense of Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, etc, then it will be a total failure. It's not worth it to me to lose 90 troops a month so that Iraq can create another Islamic government that would preach the hatred and support of Muslim extremism.

I suppose to answer your question about leaving because this isn't a government that we like the answer is no. Mainly because that question brings us back to the beginning before the invasion, after all we did invade because of a government that we didn't like. I think it's now time to come home because we have done all we can do. America has some of the highest povery rates comparable to anything in Iraq and the world; along with a national debt greater than any other country in the world. I think our money, efforts and time is better spent at home. And our troops better at looking for the person responsible for 9/11 rather than a country that had nothing to do with it.

I don't think we should pullout immediately or all at once, but I do think a very extensive pullout of around 50,000 troops within the next 30 days should happen.

I don't think we can sustain the path that we are on. I will use my old saying from Napoleon, "if you're going to take Vienna, take Vienna." And since we are not willing to do that, then I think it's time to come home. This doesn't mean defeat at all. We have accomplished every goal and objective in this war. I don't believe in nation building, or rather I don't believe that America alone should be up to the task of building Islamic states. Now unless someone can describe to me what the plan and strategy is for staying in Iraq and what victory is and when, then I would be open to changing my mind here :)

I also agree that Bush is no Lincoln :) Thanks for the visit girl. You can turn me in circles probably quicker than anyone.

Chris said...

Hey Smink, good to see you around. I need to check out your site. I'm double fisting those latte's over here man :)

Alice, it's good to be back at least part time anyway. I might not be the biggest Michael Moore fan, but he is certainly not anti-American or a traitor like the radical right would paint him to be. I think sending our troops into battle with not enough armor and without an exit strategy does more to harm morale than anything. Thanks for reading and I'm sure we can discuss Alito more later.

day by day, gotb, ummm not sure what to call you now :) It's good to see you around also. I always try to make it to your site at least twice a week. I think the new music highway is great.

I agree with you totally about Iraq. It's time to come home. As for Gore, I think I see his return. I could be wrong, but oh well. I was never a big Gore fan in 2000, but I assure you I would vote for a little green martian before another Bush or Rice or at this time any Republican candidate. In a primary I probably wouldn't vote for Hillary. If she were to be the nominee in the general then yep I would vote for her too.

I think I need to have you do a guest column for me. Thanks for the compliments and good luck with your band.

businessman, I owe you some visits too. Thanks!

I gotta talk on the phone y'all, I'll be back to finish up soon.

Chris said...

Sorry about the interruption.

Eli, I think you misunderstood me. I was totally against Miers from the beginning. I don't think she should have been confirmed to anything except maybe a mental ward. It would have been horrible for the country to have Miers on the Supreme Court. She would have ruled in favor of the government or however George Bush would have wanted her to every time. It will also be horrible for the country to have anything that is second to Miers.

I've actually met Harriet Miers. She's a bona fide dingbat. The first time I met her was in 2003 and she was explaining how the invasion of Iraq was important in stopping bin Laden and that soon chemical weapons would be found in Iraq. Of course at the time I believed her. She said a lot of crazy things that day, most I won't repeat.

I do agree with you about Iraq. It's time to come home.

TO EVERYONE: Thanks for checking back after the months of closure. I'm still sort of busy with work and I won't be able to update this site daily and probably not even weekly. I'm hoping by the end of January first of February that I will have more time because I'm hoping to be making a career move. Thanks again!

Day by Day said...

Good Luck with the potential career move! ;) Hope the blog is back up sooner than later! ;)

Household6 said...

Yeah it's MJ! Glad to see you back even if its to answer emails. I rely solely on CVG to express what I am thinking, because when I say it, it usually sounds like "Oh buggar!"

HH6