5.11.2005

UPDATE: Baghdad is Burning

I think I am just totally perplexed right now.

All of the comments on the interview with my friend Ahmed were very nice. I feel for him and his country. I thank everyone who commented and linked to the post.

However, some people who did not leave comments, but instead either sent me emails or phone calls were not so open minded. I have had three phone calls from friends that are conservatives and one email from another conservative friend telling me that they did not feel sorry for Ahmed at all because he obviously doesn't have it that bad if he has the internet, fluency in English and has traveled to America in the last two years.

I'm not sure I understand their reasoning. It would have been nice had they left the comments for others to read instead of calling or sending email. And yeah, I hope they read this too.

Let me explain:

Ahmed does not have a computer (he used to, it was taken during a raid by GI's). He doesn't have the internet, running water or a job either. He walks to a local newspaper office to use their internet when it is functioning. He was selected by the US state department to come to America to study. It did not cost him a dime. Had it, he would not been able to go. His travels to America were financed by America. You know, kinda like how Tom DeLay was financed to travel abroad by lobbyists, except Ahmed's form of travel was not illegal. Ahmed learned English in school, where it was mandatory, and yes he is fluent.

I'm amazed that with all the compassion Ahmed shows for America there are still narrowed minded conservatives who still can't get past the fact that Bush screwed this up, and that Baghdad is really burning.

I also took notice to the fact that none of my conservatives friends said one thing about the over 1,000 dead Iraqi's, or the almost 200 dead Americans since the lauded elections in January.

Come on guys, you are all smart, think for yourselves for once.

4 comments:

CaliValleyGirl said...

Yesterday I tried to post here, and Blogger was tweaking out. So I ended up just making a post at my blog.
Anyways, I wanted to send you an email, and you have no email address posted. Is that because you just want this to be a forum? Anyways...if not, drop me a line.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Even IF he did have his own computer, internet connection, fluency in enlish and travel to America-Is he not entitled to his own opinion?? I would like to ask these conservatives, "Is not freedom of opinion one of the most important freedoms we as Americans enjoy??" That is apart of Democracy and we are trying to instill Democracy (in Iraq)last time I checked the Republican talking points.

Chris said...

I agree with ya okdemocrat.

Thanks James for coming back.

I'm not sure I want anything to do with what the neocons view as reality.

My friend Ahmed's life, along with millions just like him, has been totally turned upside down because of America's actions. When do we own up to our responsibilty to make it right?

Thousands of Iraqi's are being blown up, and to bring a voice to an ordinary Iraqi is the least I could do. And it has nothing to do with presenting one side over another.

We broke Iraq. God, we gotta make it right.

CaliValleyGirl said...

Um, we broke Iraq?

That's like saying when we put a child into state's care, because her dad was molesting her, that we broke up a family.

But I do agree with you, that if we shake the hornets' nest, we can't run away.