5.12.2005

The Logic of Contradiction in Bush’s Phase Out

First things first-- Bush’s annual primetime press conference. Does anyone else find it alarming that when the President of the United States agrees to do a press conference it becomes breaking news not only on cable but also network television? The event of a liberal democracy opening itself up to the public has become a rarity indeed. Like I said earlier, I think the president was well prepared for his stint with the media. But I also don’t think anything of substance came from his two chosen subjects of which to speak about: Social Security phase-out and the energy bill.

Luckily the public is not buying President Bush’s plan to phase-out Social Security. Again Bush said he would not negotiate the specifics of his so-called plan. And again he said that private accounts were a must for any revisions to Social Security. First of all, that is not a plan. A plan includes “specifics.” To say that something needs to change is not proposing a plan. With that logic, the Democrats agreeing that changes need to be made to the system but without privatized accounts, is also a plan, then. No specifics involved in that notion either.

So, saying that Democrats do not have a plan and at least the Republicans do is incorrect. Or to say that Republicans have a plan is to agree that the Democrats do as well.

Bush also made a couple of flip-flops during his hour-long ceremony. Bush said again that the Social Security trust fund would be bankrupt in 2041, which goes against his “crisis” comments of a few weeks ago and against his campaign speeches of the 70s. That Social Security will be bankrupt in 2041 is simply not true. According to the Congressional Budget Office, in the year 2041 the program, if left untouched, will be able to provide 70% of the benefits defined today. That is not bankruptcy like Bush says. It’s a problem, but far from being bankrupt.

If the president wants to modify Social Security why can’t he at least be honest about the discussion?

Furthermore, while trying to convince those who oppose his phase-out, Bush said that his privatization plans could be backed up by the full faith of Treasury notes. But, just a week earlier during one of his “60 stops in 60 days” campaign to gain support for phasing-out Social Security (which failed miserably) Bush said that those same Treasury notes- which he wants people to use for their private accounts- when they are held in the Social Security Trust Fund are “worthless IOU’s.” That is a complete contradiction. And seemingly, only very few picked up on it.

So, when those very same Treasury notes are in the Social Security Trust Fund, they are worthless and will result in bankruptcy, but when people use them to fill their privatized accounts they are backed up by the full faith and credit of the US government. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Numerous times Bush looked directly at the camera and reassured senior citizens that they would get their check every month. Future senior citizens, however, would be the ones receiving a reduction in their monthly checks and benefits. According to the so-called Bush plan, Social Security should be revised to benefit those who need it most. The most well off Americans (those making $22,000 or more) will receive fewer benefits from the program, because they are seemingly the ones who need it less.

According to that logic, if that were the case the program would certainly be revamped into a welfare program, which makes no sense to me at all because Republicans routinely refer to Social Security as a welfare program anyways and that is the very reason they want it dismantled. And on top of all that reasoning, who amongst us that makes $22,000/year considers themselves well off? I’m waiting for the logic on this one.

Bush's plans to dismantle Social Security are failing. Thankfully the public is recognizing his contradictions and dishonesty. Unfortunately, Bush hasn't given up the fight, which helps explain his 46% approval rating.

In essence, Social Security is a plan for the future, not a welfare program, but would be if Bush gets his way. And according to the situation in Iraq, Bush knows nothing about planning.

The greatest contradiction of all is that George W. Bush is greatly in debt to his families wealth. If anything the social security that his family provided all his life has nothing to do with his own responsiveness to his work or planning for the future. For him to tell me that people should be more responsible and own up to their future, and that people who make more than $22,000/year are well off, is a joke.

I wonder if Bush would be willing to phase-out his family's wealth. Or if his un-employed daughters would be willing to not partake in their families social security program.

We all aren't a fortunate son.

8 comments:

CaliValleyGirl said...

I didn't watch the press conference haven't yet read a transcript, so I can't really give my opinion. But I did find this post interesting, and thought I would send you the link:
http://www.rantingprofs.com/rantingprofs/2005/04/and_you_wonder_.html

Chris said...

ValleyGirl,

read your link. I think by living in Germany ya missed something.

In America, the day before Bush's press conference, all the networks, including cable, flashed to a breaking news alert and reported that Bush would be giving a primetime press conference the next evening. Then they returned to their regular programming. It was a newsflash that Bush would actually be hosting a press conference.

I was watching Seinfeld and it was interrupted with an ABC Special Report. Then for the next hour, ABC ran a bottom line on the screen telling about the press conference the next evening.

I have never seen that happen before. I was shocked that the media handled it like they did. But when you only hold about 4 press conferences a year and only 1 primetime event a year then I guess it is breaking news.

Thanks for reading to you and okdemocrat.

CaliValleyGirl said...

Dude, I wasn't trying to contradict anything you said...sorry. That is why I preceded my link with, the I know nothing comment. I was just adding a link to something I found interesting. I found it interesting that the networks were reluctant to get him airtime...that's all. Nothing to do with it being a newsflash item.
No need to tell me that I am clueless, because I am living in Europe. Play nice...

Chris said...

Sorry chick, wasn't meaning it to sound so rough.

I either need to quit working on my blog while at work, so that way I do not have to type so fast, or I just need to give up the blog all together.

I thought you were refering to the:

"Does anyone else find it alarming that when the President of the United States agrees to do a press conference it becomes breaking news not only on cable but also network television?"

comment, and I thought you misunderstood what I was meaning by it.

I still think that it was very odd for the networks to do a news flash.

I didn't call you clueless, and would never mean it that way.

Sorry again.

Chris said...

Glad to see you back Hymer.

Point well taken. However, the option for someone to put his or her money into an investment program is not entirely what Bush has proposed.

Granted, the first time Bush said that changes need to be made, he said that the private accounts would be voluntary. But, Bush has changed his proposal three times since then. His current "plan" is that the accounts would be voluntary insomuch that all will receive cuts in benefits no matter if they assume private accounts or not.

His latest "plan" which he refused to debate, calls for Social Security to benefit the very poorest among us. The only way that would be possible is for those he considers well off ($22,000 or more) to either not pay in as much, or to pay in more and not receive any (or very little) benefits back. Thus, making Social Security no longer a retirement program, or as you referred to it, an investment program, but a welfare system.

For that scenario to take place, it would create two systems of security, one for the poorest and one for all others, both of which would be mandated and regulated by the federal government. And that solves the Social Security solvency problem how?

We both can debate my anaylsis all day, so let's debate Bush's numbers.

I would hope that you do not consider people who make $22,000/year well off enough to also be responsible enough, or even for that matter, able enough to plan for any future monetary events. Especially considering all the families being trapped in that poverty income. My question is this: will someone who makes, let's say, $30,000/year even be able to voluntarily contribute to private accounts?

Probably not, or at least not enough for any future benefits.

In addition, Bush said on national primetime TV that the private accounts would be backed up by the full faith and credit of the US government. But, a few days earlier he said, also with cameras rolling, that the Social Security Trust Fund was not, or would not be, because it is full of "worthless IOU's." So, then, what would be the difference if the accounts are voluntary or not. I mean, how can the same Treasury notes be "worthless" if the program is mandatory and genuine if the program is voluntary? This is his logic not mine. Maybe I'm just as clueless as you.

Now I gotta get a little deeper here Hymer. I thought with your sly self, because you have picked up on my language before, that you would have noticed the language I use when I refer to Bush's Social Security "plans." I call it Social Security phase-out. Because, according to all four of Bush's flip-flops on his so-called plans none of them will fix Social Security as he says they will (And he knows this, they all know it.). Instead, his "plans" will render it useless and ultamitely phase it out, which I believe is the Republican motive all along.

Now maybe you are for phase-out, and that is your position to take. My challenge, however, is for Bush to call it what it is, which it is phase-out, instead of calling it voluntary private accounts.

I wonder what would happen if he called it Social Security phase-out?

Always a good time with ya Hymer. You better check back after I have written all this :) And I paid extra special attention so as not to offend anyone this time :)

Chris said...

That's understandable Hymer. It is hard to follow all the different proposals Bush has put in place.

Actually, I think "confused" is how Bush wants to keep people. If the plan was to make it legal for people that wanted to, to be able to have voluntary accounts, then I'm all for it.

That's not what is proposed right now. Bush's most up-to-date proposal is to create a welfare system, which I'm against. I would imagine most conservatives would be as well.

Thanks for reading old man :)

Chris said...

Wow Tina, not sure where all that came from.

Bush has already insured the accounts of which you speak. At least a hundred times I mentioned that he says the accounts will be insured by the full faith and credit of the US government, the famous Treasury notes.

However, the Social Security Trust Fund is also insured by the same Treasury notes. When those notes are in the Social Security Fund, he calls them "worthless IOU's." But, if people use them to fill their private accounts, he says they are genuine. That's a total contradiction, and it shows that Bush is a dumbass.

So I take it, based on Bush's inability to know what he says, and his inability to know anything about economics, and his inability to tell the truth, you are in total support of his plan. That's cool, glad it's you and not me.

Getting head in the oval office caused 9/11??

Not sure I get you there.

To know my views on 9/11, scroll down the main page about three articles and you will find my essay, "Let's Talk About Reagan."

Reagan created both bin Laden and Saddam. Reagan funded, created, supported, armed and gave intelligence to both madmen. Now please explain to me again why Clinton is responsible....

Also, I could have sworn that Bush did not fulfill his duties while serving in the Alabama Air National Guard. And judging by his splendid little war in Iraq, yeah he's quite the military genius.

You post a comment with a pic of you (I guess it's you)in your underwear and want to talk about the morals of Clinton and Bush?

Thanks for the comments, however.

I think you are hot too.

frstlymil said...

Great post - MJ - I personally am of the opinion that, in the interest of helping the nation, the war, the economy in trouble, all of the above and something I think our fellow Americans could actually get behind in a time of national crisis - mmm hmmmm - that rolling back that tax cut that Bush clings to with white knuckles would pretty much take care of that pesky Social Security problem and make it a non issue. How about making it not okay to "borrow" from the Trust account with no intention of putting the money back. That's generally referred to as stealing. Oh, and Talking Tina - put some clothes on - it might improve your spelling.