2.10.2008

A Super Saturday for Obama, and Huck

Barack Obama pulls in a sweep of all three Saturday states, Nebraska, Louisiana and Washington. A huge day for the Obama camp that could provide the momentum necessary to win the nomination. Though writing that sentence is so much easier than actually winning the nod. It really doesn't do it justice. There's still a long road ahead.

On the GOP side, Mike Huckabee has demonstrated that the Republican base is not satisfied with their nominee being John McCain. Huck wins two out of three states currently refusing to concede Washington state to John McCain. I'm not sure and I could be wrong, but I don't know if the apparent nominee has ever been rebuked as badly as John McCain was yesterday. When has an apparent front runner not carried out a near clean sweep once all his competition has quit? The competition of course being Mitt Romney. But instead of folks breaking to McCain they scatter to Huck and and even *uncommitted gets double digits.

Huckabee 24%
McCain 26%
Paul 21%
Romney 16%
*Uncommitted 13%

For anyone who studies politics, this is truly amazing stuff. The Dems could possibly take the nomination all the way to the conference without having a nominee thus forcing the delegates to choose in an old fashioned selection show who the Dem candidate will be. The GOP has a guy who clearly has it wrapped up but in a caucus yesterday, almost 75% of the caucus goers voted against him. And in the other two primary and caucus's McCain loses handedly. Truly amazing!

4 comments:

James Mars said...

Even given McCain's weakness, I still say that the Republicans have a better situation at the moment as a far as who the nominee will be.

But ultimately it will come to voter turn out in the general. And even if McCain can win independents and moderates, as the McCain people are constantly claiming, I'm not sure that it will be enough to win out over what looks to be a massive Democratic voter turnout in November.

Oh yeah and did you notice Obama beginning the attacks on John McCain? It's weird to see a guy I'm supposed to be against make some of the same very valid points against the McCain camp that I agree with. Obviously, I thought that part of Obama's speech was very good, something new from him. Now we'll likely see Hillary parroting the same attacks.

If it's to be Obama vs. McCain in the general, then there will be a clear choice on Iraq war strategy. Withdraw ASAP or stay 100 years? The general election will then become a referendum on the war on Iraq. I think the Dems will win on that count, by not by the margins you probably believe that they would.

Chris said...

A better situation as compared to what?

I do agree that Dem turnout does appear to be massive. I haven't noticed Obama making attacks on McCain yet. I really don't pay that close of attention to it. And I certainly haven't watched a speech in a very long time. All speeches sound the same to me. Honestly I don't watch the news. I watch sports and read newspapers, that's about it.

I agree with you the General Election will present a clear choice about the Iraq war, stay for 100 years or go home. I don't believe it will become a referendum, however. I think the economy will come in to play much like it did in 1992 and I think after 7 long years of the very polarizing George Bush and the culture of corruption he has presided over, people will be ready for a change of leadership and the young, vibrant Barack Hussein Obama represents that much better than stiff jacket, walking death McCain.

How's that sound for a non-partisan comment? ;)

James Mars said...

It's better for a party to have chosen a nominee sooner rather than later. Despite the death throes of the Huckster, the Republican primary contest ended the moment Mitt suspended. On the other hand, the Democrats will be battling it out for several more months possibly (hopefully).

Given this context, which I assumed you were aware of, the Republicans have a better situation at the moment as a far as who the nominee will be.

Obama, with a few paragraphs of rhetoric, started to hint at how it is that he will attack John McCain in the general election. I think it's a smart tactic. If I was a Democratic voter, I'd want to know which candidate would more effectively debate and/or attack the opposing candidate in the upcoming contest. I like it when Barack 'goes negative'. I find it more interesting than his usual platitudes and feel good rhetoric.

Chris said...

I'll have to pay more attention to BO and his attacks. In all honesty, it's really hard for me to watch the news and see what the candidates are up to. When I'm home I'm usually watching sports or researching/writing. When I'm not at home I'm at work or at the gym, or out drinking. TV bores me. Maybe it's because I don't have the attention span to watch tv.

Actually, I kinda like the fact Hillary and Obama are duking it out. As a student of politics, I think this is a fascinating year and one that just might set the trend for the next half a century or so. So I'm kind of enjoying having a primary stretched out a little longer than normal. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing it go all the way to the convention and have the delegates do an old fashioned selection show. To me that would be worth watching.

Thanks for reading Jaz.