2.15.2008

Once Upon A Time..

It’s not every day that you see three of your friends mentioned in the Los Angeles Times. I haven’t seen much of David Axelrod since sometime in 2007. He was too busy then to say much to. It was a simple handshake and the usual “good to see you again,” and as I turned to shake hands with someone else he gave me a quick slap on the shoulder with that crazy grin he always has. He can be stern most of the time but he certainly knows what it is he’s after and can frame a message like no other. The article makes a comparison to Karl Rove but Axelrod is no Rove. He’s not out to suppress votes or 527 an opponent to their knees. He knows issues better than anyone I’ve ever met, though I’ve never met Rove.

The first time I met him I was working for Senator Paul Simon. Senator Simon is my political patron and to this day one of my favorite people to have ever spent time with. As it mentions in the article, Axelrod managed Sen. Simon’s 1984 successful campaign for the US Senate. When Simon first introduced me to Axelrod he told me that if I ever wanted to go anywhere in politics to study this man’s every move. It’s safe to say I never made it as far as Axelrod, but he is 23 years older than me. Paul, you are sorely missed.

Then there’s Obama. Coincidently, it was also Sen. Simon who first introduced me to Barack Obama in 2002. It wasn’t until I read this article today that mentions all three people-- I don’t think any article has ever done that-- did it dawn on me that I’ve been really lucky in life. When I can pick up a newspaper and know firsthand the people who are making the news, and personally worked for two of them, giving the small town and school I came from, I’d say that’s pretty lucky and some very cherished times of my life. Barack may be president and he may not. I have no clue. But I’ll sure have some stories to tell my grandkids.

Not that I miss politics because the college I’m at now is right where I want to be. Plus it’s not like I don’t still get involved because I do. But there are days where an LA Times article does bring a smile to my face and leaves me feeling very fortunate.

Tags: , ,

4 comments:

Kent said...

I'm just assuming I'm on your list of 'favorite people' to spend time with.

Chris said...

Yeah, if you ever make it to Southern Illinois.

Kent said...

Dude,

You're so money.

I'm coming. Take me to Cubs game.

Chris said...

How about a Cardinals/Cubs game. Busch Stadium is so much closer than Chicago.