2.29.2008

I Dare You To

After yesterday's Bush moment where he specifically calls out Obama, it now appears that the Democratic front runner is not only running against Hillary but also John McCain and George Bush.

He's getting hit from three sides and handling it well. Most people who don't know Obama say that he won't be able to handle the pressure. That once people start attacking him he won't know how to respond, he'll shy away and his hope message will become blurred. I've been hearing this since 2003 about Obama. And not once has he ever shied away, or not taken an argument head on. I've been telling people since the first day I met Obama that he's at his best when others doubt him. This week has been a perfect example of that.

Instead of backing away from the president's bully pulpit, Obama responded immediately to Bush. And today when Hillary ran her 3am ad, Obama wasted no time hitting back. His honest, fact-based answers are what has drawn me to him since the days I worked for him in the senate.

Obama ties all three opponents into one well rounded concise response:

I don't think these ads will work this time because the question is not about picking up the phone. The question is, what kind of judgment will you exercise when you pick up that phone. In fact, we have had a red phone moment; it was the decision to invade Iraq.

Senator Clinton gave the wrong answer. George Bush gave the wrong answer. John McCain gave the wrong answer. I stood up and I said that a war in Iraq would be unwise. It cost us thousands of lives and billions of dollars. I said that it would distract us from the real threat that we face, and that we should take the fight to al Qaeda in Afghanistan. That’s the judgment I made on the most important foreign policy decision of our generation.
It's finally time the politics of fear ends. There isn't any one person taking on three opponents right now like Obama is and his momentum continues to grow. I dare anyone to doubt him.

*Update:

How's this for rapid response?

2 comments:

Cooper said...

I saw that and saw the result for her was less than desired.

I do wish that NAFTA thing hadn't come up. I guess we have to wait till Tuesday but I heard quite specifically on some news show today that the Republican are already getting out the big guns on Obama, and are certain McCain can beat him.

Chris said...

I think the race will be close and certainly no blow out. But I don't see how the 90yo McCain will be able to keep up. If it wasn't for McCain's hawkish foreign policy, I would probably consider him a huge change from Bush. But I think it's time to come home from Iraq and I think it's time to reassess how we are fighting terrorist threats. I don't see McCain doing any of that.

I'll take any Dem over the Republican choice at this point. Of course I am biased.