5.08.2006

Political Conversations

This was something I meant to do a couple weeks ago and then life got in the way.

Back in April I had a chance to go to San Diego for a junior college conference. The conference was boring as can be but I did get a chance to meet up with my first blogger buddy, Kent over at Right From Left.

I know you all have seen him commenting on here and occasionally it will appear that we have nothing in common, but reality is always such a fog in politics. Kent and I met for some beers at The Bitter End pub. It was a cool place and seemed perfect for political conversation and the usual hangout talk (girls, sports, girls, you know).

Kent’s site is an obvious opposite of mine and we do disagree on a lot of things but we have a common ground in that we both believe deeply in this country, even if our politics doesn’t rhyme.

Kent might be the most precise writer I’ve seen in a while. Sometimes succinct writing can be sharp, but the prose itself is some of the best around. If I remember correctly, Kent is in the ad business and is now trying to get into screenwriting. Kent, man, I don’t know anything about screenwriting or acting, but I am a published author with what I like to think of as a relatively good sense of humor (I know this blog doesn't show it), so if I can ever be of any help to you let me know. It was nice to meet you, Kent. Don’t be a stranger.

16 comments:

Kent said...

Love you, Buddy.

Anonymous said...

That's cool... meeting up with your blogger pals.

See Chris... we keep meeting the greatest sides of you! :)

Not that your political side is bad at all... matter of fact... it's fine as heck! :)

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwww

How sweet MJ. :)

Jeremy said...

I still think Kent sucks :-)

Jeremy said...

Oh, and so do the Yankees. 14-3 Sox!

Anonymous said...

Well..at least we can agree that the Yankees suck. That's progress, right? :)

Chris said...

Kent, right back at ya man.

Shayna, thanks! It's not every day that I get to go to San Diego, so I though while I was there I would meet some people. It was a fun trip.

Thanks Coop.

Cowgirl, conversations about girls, not with girls ;) Girls and sports, that's really about all I know. Well, probably only sports. I agree, Shayna should throw us all a party!

Jeremy, you and Kent need to finish your debate from the last post. I think it was going good. Yeah I hate the Yankees too.

Lisa, did you just say progress??? Just kidding. I do agree the Yankees are evil.

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I'm not quite sure where you were going with that...but the Yankees always have the ability to unite all the other baseball fans. I'm just trying to bring the conservatives and liberals/progressives together here. Sometimes it actually works. :)

Chris said...

It's all in good fun Lisa. I'm just honored that you actually read my blog. Now if I could just get you to jump on the Salukis band wagon, I'll have accomplished something.

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet. :) I don't have anything against the Salukis...it's just that I'm more of a front-runner type fan. Well, except for Duke basketball(sorry) and my beloved Mets, a team that usually invokes the phrase "they can't possibly do any worse than last year". (And until this year, I was often wrong about that...)

Chris said...

I like the Mets. One of my good friends is a big Mets fan. I like Reyes. And so far they have been looking really good this year. Along with my redbirds.

Salukis are #13 in the ESPN preseason poll, #12 in Fox Sports preseason poll and #21 in College Hoops preseason poll. Doesn't that qualify as "front runner" enough? Come on, they are mid-major, being mentioned by ESPN as #13 is like winning the national championship to us :)

Anonymous said...

My favorite is David Wright, although I really enjoy watching speedy SS like Reyes and former Brave Rafael Furcal. It's true the Cards are doing well, especially Pujols. He's unbelievable. Just pray that Clemens goes to the AL, or the Central may yet become competitive.

When the Salukis manage a single-digit seed in the NCAA's, then we can consider them for front-runner status. Otherwise, it's Duke, UConn, and the overrated Zags.

Kent said...

No, the Mets are MY team.

Chris said...

Lisa, in 2005 the Salukis had a 5 seed. Is that good enough? In 2003 they went to the Sweet 16. Plus they are one of only 12 teams to make six straight NCAA tournaments. Oh yeah, you can tell I bleed Saluki maroon.

Kent, I'm a Cardinal fan. But I do like the Mets. I like baseball in general. The only teams I hate are the Yankees and the Cubs.

Kent said...

Whenever I go see my hometown Padres they ALWAYS seem to be playing the Cubs. Not sure how that happens.

Next time you're out we'll check out a game @ Petco Park.

Anonymous said...

I should have known better than to drop that comment in there before checking ESPN. Oops. But they still haven't made the big time unless Dick Vitale can't stop talking about them (like some other team that shall remain nameless). :P

Kent, can't we both have the same favorite team?? :) Actually, I follow several teams: the Indians in the AL, the Mets in the NL, and any other team that beats the Yankees. The Mets are my #1 favorite though. I just feel sorry for the Cubs. There's really no reason to hate them unless you're a Cards fan.