9.16.2005

Thoughts on the President's Speech

What a different role we witnessed last night for President Bush.  Bush the domestic has been something of a rarity for this administration.  For almost five years the president has been bogged down in a global war on terrorism with sketchy results and a maddening war in Iraq that has tested the president’s credibility on more than one occasion.  The best-known domestic issues for which Bush accepts credit is the embattled No Child Left Behind program, which has less support nationally than his handling of Iraq, and his unprecedented tax cuts for the wealthiest of Americans along with his record setting tax breaks for Big Oil.

Yet last night we saw a president bent on doing whatever it takes to reconstruct the Gulf Coast region left devastated by Katrina.  In doing so the president also acknowledged the failures of the federal government in its response to the crisis.  The president has promised to make right with both the middle class that were largely able to escape and the poverty stricken masses who were not so fortunate.  Once again the president wishes to focus on the federal government’s role in the social security of its citizens.

Much has been compared to Mr. Bush’s other major reconstruction effort in Iraq.  As stark as the differences are, Iraq is the only major reconstruction effort offered by this administration for which to judge the newest endeavor.  Unlike Iraq, the devastation of the Gulf Coast region was not self inflicted and not brought about by choice and the Gulf Coast will not require a massive military combat effort either.  But the attention and focus by this administration must be greater than that given to Iraq, or lack thereof.  The president is dealing with a voting populous and an angry America stubborn at viewing the federal government’s response as non-existent at best.  Appropriately, the president’s own reconstruction is also at stake.

The president’s answer for such a failure by his self-created big government is bigger government.  By expanding the government’s role in catastrophic events with the advent of Homeland Security, the president’s answer now is to increase the welfare role of government not necessarily with those who are poor but to those who are without solace. An endeavor of monumental scale goes without saying when the financial status of this country is considered, and that congress is controlled by the most conservative right wing agendas in a hundred years.  Already operating with the largest deficit in the history of this country, not to mention bottomless pockets for a war in Iraq with no end in sight, it must only be necessary and impossible to continue on this fiscal path with Mr. Bush’s prized tax cuts for the wealthy in place.

The president’s call to make this "one of the largest reconstruction efforts the world has ever seen” is big talk for an administration that has for the last five years been totally negligent in convincing the public of its domestic agenda.  Not to mention coming from a country that almost single handedly rebuilt Western Europe and all of Japan.  If this new reconstruction effort is to be on a grander scale than that, then this president must learn to better manage not only his sloppy world affairs but also put an unprecedented focus on the Southland which voted for him almost 60-40.

The outlook must be larger than the goals for this reconstruction, and the planning must be measured in years not in primetime speeches designed for political talk.  One can only hope that the federal government this time will be more successful than the last Union reconstruction of the South.

All in all, the president has set some huge goals.  We’ll see if the results match.

Tags:
, ,

10 comments:

Cooper said...

I'm glad you were all as thrilled as I was.
He acknowledges the failures of the federal government he should have acknowledged his own personal failures.

Making this one of the largest reconstruction efforts the world has ever seen is a great big grandstanding effort and the country can't afford it, at least from what I can tell. Not to mention who will be making money of all this reconstruction? I bet Cheney is salivating at the dollar signs floating past his eyeballs about now.

I’m not sure going on television and blabbing about a bunch of loft goals, goals which potentially could totally throw our country into financial turmoil, is going to get him out of this mess.
Maybe a scaled down potentially workable and reasonable plan would have been better but no… he needed something huge because his fuck up the governments fuck up the , at the very least the second major one in a few years, was so huge and obvious at this point even to the most obtuse.

Timmer of Righting America said...

Sheesh Alice...enough with the "F"-word already!

MJ - some good points, but some blather too my friend. The tax cuts benefitted all working Americans, not just the rich. I know, because I am NOT rich, and they benefitted me. I am guessing they benefitted you as well.

I do congratulate you on your attempt at optimism with this President, with whom you hardly agree. And let me add that Iraq (and Afghanistan, for that matter), all things considered, has been rather successful and justified in many important ways.

Namely, the removal of a Tyrant who: Would not accept compromise and continued to fire upon our planes in the southern "No Fly Zone," broke over a dozen U.N. resolutions and cease fire agreements, continued to abuse Oil for Food with the U.N., continued sponsorship of Palestinian terror. This, coupled with the liberation of 25 Million Iraqis, was more than enough reason to have removed Saddam. The media has managed to erase this from common memory.

Now the President has asked for help, has agreed to massive federal assistance and initiatives, and has agreed to work through local and State government. He is offering a chance at redemption to Governors, Mayors and local politicians - and seeks his own. I suspect that, when all is said and done with this administration, history will be kinder than our modern media, allies, enemies and pundits alike.

Jacob said...

You stated the case well mj. We will have to see what happens but I think you give too much credit.

I agree with the scratching of the head and big promises for short term political gain and I partially agree with the Alice despite the word fuck, which I don’t mind at all.

The tax cuts also benefited me, not to a great extent but they did. That is really not the point the point is that the tax cuts benefited the richest people in this country and large corporations to the max and left the people at the bottom of the scale without.

I’ll be waiting with you to see how this all plays out.

I can’t see why they have to grandstand to this end though. I’m not sure I want that much money going to reconstruct New Orleans itself.

Chris said...

Graham, you are correct that it's all a little confusing. From Bush's actions and his policies, not to mention his initiatives, he is anything but a fiscal conservative. I'm not sure how Bush plans on paying for everything. To me it's increasing the debt for our future to pay off. I think what people need is less politics. And while Rove is in charge everything will be political.

Alice, yes I too believe that Haliburton will profit the most from this. But as we have seen in the last five years Bush has been able to talk really big with lots of promises and not once has he been able to deliver. We'll see how this goes. I hope this time Bush gets it right.

Timmer, blather maybe, but so was his speech. You are correct to assume that I rarely find myself in agreement with Bush. It is few and far between that I do agree with this administration.

I totally disagree that the tax cuts benefitted all working Americans. Did it benefit the middle class and the working poor? Somewhat, but the tax cuts did benefit the wealthy much, much more so than any other economic class.

I'm not sure where I said Iraq and Afghanistan were not justified. Of course they have been successful in many ways. I used the word sketchy, which implies that progress/success has been just as prevalent as the mistakes. Both wars are very justifiable, and I support both. And of course removing Saddam the tyrant is a noble cause.

I think what has been erased from the common memory though, is the fact that we invaded to disarm Iraq of WMD, which appear to have never existed; nobility has been an afterthought. We can argue all day about the nobility of it all, but the case for war in Iraq was sketchy as well. And the fact that Rumsfeld and Cheney both concluded that the war in Iraq would be easy and over in a matter of months.

I disagree with your suspicion that history will be kinder. Of course, all that depends on who gets to write the history.

Thanks for reading Timmer, I enjoy your input.

Chris said...

businessman, thank you. It's funny how two people can read my post and get two totally different perspectives from it. Meaning, that you and Timmer seemed to have very different reactions. The tax cuts probably benefited me as well. I'm safely in the middle class so I'm sure it saves me like a hundred bucks or something. But I would gladly give that hundred dollars back if it were to pay for the war(s).

I think you have it right though, it will depend on where the revenue is going to come from to fund all these projects. It will be interesting.

Thanks for always reading.

Sminklemeyer said...

i didn't catch the speech, but it's nice to hear he's admiting the failures of the feds. is this a first in an american president?

David Schantz said...

I've been thinking about something. Some of the people that were forced to leave New Orleans are now staying with friends or family members in other parts of the country. Just suppose some of them got job offers while living in their temporary homes. Would they stay were they are or would they go back to New Orleans even though we know there will be another hurricane at some time in the future? I think I know what I would do. The New Orleans that is rebuilt might not be as large as the one that was wiped out.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I hope to GOD that he can figure this out but given his previous track record, I crindge.

Cooper said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cooper said...

I’m amazed people actually think he did some big wonderful thing in this. He “took responsibility” for the federal government’s faux pas of like taking responsibility when your dog does his thing on someone else’s lawn. In the end it is not really your fault and you really aren’t taking responsibility for anything.
Let the carpet baggers congregate and let the games begin I say.

Sad when so little from a president seems to mean so much to everyone.

Timnmer:my vocabulary is obviously limited by lack of funding but a fuck up is a fuck up.
I could call it an egregious mistake but that would probably anger more people and I try to be diplomatic here.