9.22.2005

The Neocon Roberts Vote

Judge Roberts will get his up or down vote. Thank God. I’m so tired of hearing “up or down vote;” the neocons have to learn some new terminology or we all are going to go crazy. From the day Roberts was nominated, I supported it. I have always maintained that Roberts should be approved as soon as possible.

Do I think he’s well qualified for the job? Nope. Do I think he’s the best “man” for the job? Nope. If I sat down and talked to Roberts one-on-one, would he and I agree on most things? Probably not (though I wouldn’t debate the guy in a million years; he might be the best there is). Do I even have a vote in this matter? Nope.

But, there is one thing I got to get off my chest here: Just because the president nominates someone to a position does not mean jack squat. A president’s nomination is merely only a nomination. The Senate is granted with approval powers of all presidential nominations. So the power lies within the Senate to approve or disapprove of a president’s selection. Given that the neocons control both the House and Senate, along with the White House, the president should have no trouble getting his people where he wants them.

However, any elected senator has every right to NOT vote in favor of any presidential nomination. And another news flash is that not everyone in the Senate agrees with the president! I know, it’s amazing.

So, for matters of political harmony, Democrats who do not vote to approve Roberts are not obstructionists. Another filibuster would be. But that’s not what’s happening here. Besides, anyone who is naïve enough to believe that given the president’s total disregard for Democrats, that they would all line up behind his lousy butt and vote for his people are detached from reality.

Even with all that said Roberts will be approved and rightfully so.

Another matter that I’m working on is President Bush’s out of control budget. I’m not sure how anyone can argue that Bush is fiscally responsible. I’ll have more on that later.

And one last thing, another massive hurricane is about to make landfall on American shores. God help us.

Tags:
, , , ,

9 comments:

Jacob said...

Agreed on that he should be and will be voted in.

This government is not in any way shape or form fiscally responsible but most people, at least people I talk to, have no idea why or how that fact even affects them.

God bless those in the path of this one. I somehow feel we will fare better this time.

Chris said...

I hope so businessman, I hope so. Eventually I think people will begin to feel the crunch from an out of control, big government budget.

Graham, I do agree that the president's nomination should be respected. But the emphasis I place on the Senate's role is not just mine, but that of the Constitution itself.

The Senate has the power to overturn any presidential nomination it sees fit; not dependent upon any extra-ordinary circumstances whatsoever. Not only is this a form of our special checks and balances, but it shows the important powers granted to the Senate by the Founding Fathers. And mind you the fact that the Senate was not originally an elected body, it too was a political appointment.

The Senate is given the descretion and final authority for those who are selected by the president. Meaning that the final say-so does belong to the Senate and not necessarily a privilege of the office of the president. And a rejection can be made without any reason for such action.

Even though I do argue the Senate's sole power and authority for presidential appointments, I do believe that Roberts should be confirmed without much distraction.

The next Supreme Court appointee might not be so lucky.

Thanks for reading Graham. Always a good time with ya.

Cooper said...

I think that giving the presidents nominations respect just because he is the president is not necessary. In this case, with the Senate being as it is, it does not appear to matter , if it goes without saying that he is going to be elected then elect him. My only issue of course is that he is going to be the top dog and he is so young; that in and of itself is enough to make the hard questions worth asking.
With our nation going broke fast I think we had better start taking care of other business.

No governemnt is as fiscally responsible as they should be with our money.

Anonymous said...

I'm with MJ on this one. The Court nomination power is shared between the president and the senate. The constitution clearly gives the president the power to nominate almost anyone he or she wants without respect to their ideological viewpoint and the senate the power to either confirm or reject that nomination (and no limit is placed on that).

If the senator doesn't like the nominee he or she can vote against the president's choice.

Now, should the senators consider that justice's ideological viewpoint. Of course they should. The rules which these, how does Roberts put it, "umpires" review are not so clear-cut. They are worded vaguely and there are sharp differences on the set of rules we all are supposed to live by.

That said, the Democrats should join the Republicans in confirming Mr. Roberts. His judicial philosophy can't be any worse than the one of the late Chief Justice and there may be some reason to hope that he will be slightly better than Mr. Rehnquist. Mr. Roberts is replacing a very conservative justice so there will be no change in the Court's balance of power. Better to fight the next nominee, the one replacing outgoing swing justice Sondra Day O'Connor.

Jacob said...

They did not elect George W Bush as a matter of fact and I think they need to vote against him if that is what they feel the need to do. It is not a filibuster. I think the message that they are sending is loud and clear.

This one is there for life and not only is that he chief justice.

Craig said...

The Republicans call for a "up-or-down" vote is simply in response to several senators balk at the filibuster, which I will guarantee will happen on the next appointment. I have no problem with voting no, but at least vote, that is what the Senate is there for.

And surprise, surprise, the budget is well out of control. If Bush does nothing to trim it, I will be very dissapointed. Of course, I can't say I didn't see it coming. The only way tax breaks work is to eliminate areas in which funding isn't as important.

Chris said...

Alice, you have a very good point. If I remember correctly Heretic would totally agree with you on the case that Roberts is so young and will be there for life.

Heretic, I do agree with you. Thanks for the backup.

Graham, I think the message that it sends to the public is that Democrats are allowed to disagree even within their own ranks. I would like to see the same thing happen with the neocon controlled Republican party.

businessman, I agree. He is there for life. I think anyone who argues the lifetime appointment and that the appointee should be held to a very standard has a very valid point.

Craig, I see your point about the filibuster balk, but in the case of Roberts a filibuster was never on the table. Be careful about guaranteeing the actions for the next appointee. In order to guarantee that a filibuster doesn't occur, the president should appoint a moderate.

I totally agree that areas of funding need to be cut in the budget; such as all the pork money going to Tom DeLay's district and other Republican porkers. By eliminating unnecessary spending in neocon districts then maybe Bush's tax cuts for the super wealthy will work. You and John McCain are both right about that.

Jack Davis said...

Excellent post. I agree Roberts should be confirmed. As Jonathan Chait pointed out in the LA Times, Bush would simply nominate another conservative if Roberts was somehow defeated. Furthermore, by voting for Roberts, it will be easier for the Democrats to oppose the next nominee without looking like knee-jerk, Bush-hating obstructionists.
My prediction is that Roberts turns out to be an Anthony Kennedy-like moderate conservative. I wonder if he would vote to repeal Roe v. Wade; my guess is yes but I wouldn't bet too much on it.

David Schantz said...

I support Roberts but I'm very concerned about who the next nominee will be.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic